Monday, May 31, 2010

Luminaries

I have been trying to get a five year if not more neglected yard in order.  This has been a task, but it is slowly coming together.
When I was young I spent time in Arizona and fell in love with luminaries.   The image of a walkway lined with brown paper bags half filled with sand and a tea lights flickering in the dark always makes me smile.  The warm glow that expels from them is welcoming.  I even had them on my wedding day line the driveway to parents house where we had drinks after the ceremony.
Instead of the usual paper ones I thought why not try a more industrial approach that will withstand New England weather.  I saved some metal coffee cans and went to work.  All you need is a center punch, hammer, drill and can.  I marked the can with the center punch in a simple design and then went to work drilling holes.
Just a tip, I figured it out the hard way.  After the drilling is done take the hammer and knock off the burrs.  They are extremely sharp and can hurt.  The next step, add some color.  I choose a bright yellow.  It looks great during the day and matches my watering can.
Spray away.  Hello sunshine!
All lit up and aglow.
It was so simple to do and I finished in an afternoon.  If anyone knows of where I can get more metal cans, let me know.  I want to make more.
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment